Awards, Scholarships, and Grants
Award & Grant Presentation
Application Process and Overview
New! Schools of Distinction
The Schools of Distinction Program recognizes schools that demonstrate excellence in the following areas:
- curriculum and assessment
- authentic learning
- showcasing student learning
- connected communities
- leadership and advocacy
- professional development and training
Application window: January 1st through June 30th
Scholarship and PD Grant Information . . .
IAEA supports the improvement and advancement of visual arts education in schools, communities, and museums throughout Illinois. This includes the encouragement of professional excellence by supporting the education and continuous learning of its members.
Application deadline June 1st, 2021
*Please check the application well in advance to allow time to complete requirements*
Apply for $1000 Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarships.
Current Art Educators:
Apply for Professional Development Grants up to $500
Apply to attend classes at the School of the Art Institute or Ox-Bow in Michigan through the Howlett Scholarship.
Please contact Chris Grodoski [email protected] for questions or more information.
Check out our 2020 virtual award ceremonies! Congratulations to all!
Congratulations to the 2020 IAEA Award Winners!
2020 IAEA Student Scholarship Winner
Award Information . . .
The nomination window for 2021 has closed. Please consider nominating for 2022 in January.
The IAEA Awards Program is intended to recognize art educators who are committed and dedicated to their students and the art education profession. This program, which recognizes excellence in individuals and programs, helps provide for the development of quality art education throughout the state of Illinois.
- To promote public awareness of the importance of quality art education.
- To promote support of and to focus professional attention on quality programs and excellent art educators.
- To recognize significant contributions to the profession and organization of IAEA.
- Illinois Art Educator of the Year (Chosen by award committee from nominations in categories below)
- Illinois Elementary Art Educator of the Year
- Illinois Middle School/Junior High Art Educator of the Year
- Illinois Secondary Art Educator of the Year
- Illinois Early Professional Award (3 – 7 years teaching)
- Illinois Higher Education Art Educator of the Year
- Illinois Art Administrator/Supervisor of the Year
- Illinois Museum Art Educator of the Year
- Distinguished Service in IAEA
- Distinguished Service in the Profession of Art Education
- Distinguished Service to Art Education (outside the profession)
- President’s Special Award (chosen by current IAEA president)
- Distinguished Member Award (chosen by past Distinguished Member recipients)
- School of Distinction
- Significant contribution within an award category.
- Outstanding record of general professional achievement.
- Continuing record of contributions to art education in Illinois.
- Current active membership in IAEA.
- To be considered for a national award, NAEA membership is required. National nomination is optional.
Award categories 1-7.
- Outstanding record of success as an art educator from colleagues, administrators, students, and community.
- Outstanding ongoing record of general professional achievement, continued education, studio accomplishments/exhibitions, publications, service to individual school program and school district, service to community, and service to the art education profession.
- Recognized as a leader.
Illinois Museum Art Educator of the Year
- Outstanding record of successful collaborative efforts as a museum art educator from colleagues, administrators, teachers and students, and community.
- Outstanding record of general professional achievement, continued education, studio accomplishments, publications, service to individual school programs and school districts, service to community, and service to the art education profession.
Distinguished Service in IAEA
- Exemplary contributions of time and effort to IAEA.
Distinguished Service to the Profession of Art Education
- Outstanding contribution to the field of art education; record of service to school, district, and community, record of previous awards, honors, and record of publications.
Distinguished Service to Art Education (outside of the profession)
- Exemplary support and advocacy for art education.
President’s Special Award
- Current president’s discretion